From the desk of Grandmaster In Sun Seo
World Kido Federation family and friends,
On behalf of all of us at the World Kido Federation, I would like to wish you a joyous holiday season and a happy New Year!
This coming year, I would like to pass on the following idea to all of you: “let us become the best version of ourselves”. This idea can take on many forms including:
1. Best in our training: Regardless of age, rank, or where we are in our training, make short and long term goals to improve ourselves through consistent and hard training to become the best martial artist we can be.
2. Best in our teaching: Take it upon yourself to do that extra little thing that will help in your teaching so that your students will become better martial artists. Things like having that extra conversation, making extra mat time, introducing that one more new teaching methods are just some examples but I’m sure each of you will have your own version.
3. Best family member: Love and respect your family members and aspire to make your family proud through your positive attitude and actions.
3. Best in how we treat others: Treat each other with respect, love and dignity irrespective of whether it’s your senior, junior or anyone you interact with. Show everyone what the martial art spirit and mentality is all about.
4. Best in our responsibilities to our communities: Our responsibility as martial artists go beyond the dojang. Take it upon yourself to extend our martial arts spirit to others in your communities through how you represent yourselves and also in how you give back and help others.
In striving to be the best version of ourselves, it is important to consider how to balance long term goals with daily pursuits that are realistic and attainable. While it is important to have lofty and transformational goals in life, often times these goals may seem too lofty, too grandiose for us to achieve, and we become paralyzed in doubt. How do overcome this?
Something I firmly believe can help all of us in both martial arts and in life is the idea of getting 1% better everyday. In my journey as a martial artist and a person, I have found success using this idea of constant growth and dedication on a daily basis. The fact of the matter is that I did not reach my goals in martial arts training, teaching and martial arts organizations overnight. Rather, it took years of constantly striving to become a little bit better than I was the day before. With this state of mind, I was able to realize many of my goals in life and I continue to apply the same mindset to many daily training regiment, my goals for korean martial arts and my vision for our organization heading into the future.
So for this year I am not asking you to reinvent yourselves as martial artists or as people. Rather, I challenge every member of WKF to honestly assess themselves and determine what things, big or small, they can do to better themselves every single day. The important thing to realize is that self-improvement is a state of mind, not an end destination and requires constant and daily focus and hard work to truly get better 1% everyday!
Lastly I would like to remind everyone that we alternate every year between two large scale intrnational events; WKF Summit in the United States and our WKF/HHA World Championships/Korea Trip (Sep 26 – Oct 3 of 2019-see information below). These events are important part of continuing to foster and grow our organization to be the best martial arts organization in the world. Please do your best to make every effort to join us in Korea this year and also look out for more information on the next Summit later this year.
Once again, let’s continue to strive to be the best versions of ourselves in 2019. In closing I wish all of you continued health, peace and happiness and I look forward to seeing many of you at our 2019 Korea Trip!
In Sun Seo
2019 WKF Korea Trip and 11th World Hapkido Championships
Dates: September 26 – October 3, 2018
7 Nights/ 8 Days Hotel accommodations
Participation in Int’l Championship
Seminar with GM In Sun Seo
Instructor/Masters training Exchange program with sister schools (must arrange in advance through HQ)
Contact Master Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 New Years Message
Posted on January 1, 2019